RESIDENT AND NON-RESIDENT INSURANCE AGENCY LICENSE
TYPE AND CLASS:
21-05 Insurance Agency License
Common Use(s) of License:
Florida Statutes, defines an "INSURANCE AGENCY" as a business location which an individual, firm, partnership, corporation, association, or other entity engages in any activity or employs individuals to engage in any activity which by law may be performed only by a licensed insurance agent.
Florida Statutes, states that no individual, firm, partnership, corporation, association, or any other entity shall act in its own name or under a trade name directly or indirectly, as an insurance agency, unless it complies with s. 626.172, F.S., with respect to possessing an insurance agency license for each place of business at which it engages in any activity which may be performed only by a licensed insurance agent.
Florida Statutes, states that a branch place of business that is established by a licensed agency is considered a branch agency and is not required to be licensed so long as it transacts business under the same name and federal tax identification number as the licensed agency and has designated with the department a licensed agent in charge of the branch location as required by s. 626.0428 and the address and telephone number of the branch location have been submitted to the department for inclusion in the licensing record of the licensed agency within 30 days after insurance transactions begin at the branch location.
STEPS TO OBTAIN 21-05 RESIDENT/NON-RESIDENT INSURANCE AGENCY LICENSE:
Paso 1 - Debe ser:
- Have an agent-in-charge who is licensed and appointed in at least one of the following lines of authority:
- Líneas Generales (2-20 o 9-20)
- Salud y Vida con Anualidad Variable (2-15 o 8-15)
- Salud y Vida (2-18 o 8-18)
- Salud (2-40 o 8-40)
- Vida con Anualidad Variable (2-14 o 8-14)
- Vida (2-16 o 8-16)
- Líneas Personales (20-44 o 90-44)
- If there are two or more lines of insurance being transacted out of the agency, an agent-in-charge must be licensed for at least two lines of business being conducted.
Paso 2 - Solicitud:
Paso 3 - Huellas Digitales:
- Fingerprints are required for each owner, partner, officer, director, president, senior vice president, secretary, treasurer, and limited liability company member who directs or participates in the management or control of the insurance agency, whether through ownership of voting securities, by contract, by ownership of any agency bank account, or otherwise. Individuals who are currently licensed and appointed as insurance agents in Florida are not required to be fingerprinted. [Haga clic aquí y siga las instrucciones]
Paso 4 - Notificación(es) de Estado:
- Una vez presentada la solicitud, puede verificar su cuenta Mi Perfil para ver el estado de su solicitud. Las deficiencias aparecerán debajo el tipo de licencia pendiente.
- Once all the above steps have been satisfied, the department will send your approval by email. You may then go to your Mi Perfil account and click the “Wallet” and/or “Letter” hyperlink(s), under the “Print Licenses” section, to generate a copy of your license for printing.
- Sole Proprietors: An insurance agency that is owned and operated by a single licensed agent conducting business in his or her individual name and not employing or otherwise using the services of or appointing other licensees is exempt from the agency licensing requirements.
- An application for an insurance agency license must be signed by an individual listed as an officer/director on the application, who directs or participates in the management or control of the agency. An insurance agency may permit a third party to complete, submit, and sign an application on the insurance agency’s behalf; however, the insurance agency is responsible for ensuring that the information on the application is true and correct and is accountable for any misstatements or misrepresentations.
- Expiration of License: Agency licenses are perpetual as long as there is an agent-in-charge effectively
designated. An agency license will expire after 90 days without an
- Foreign Agencies: Agencies located in Puerto Rico are eligible to receive this license.
- Branch Locations: Any branch location(s) transacting insurance under the same name and FEIN of a licensed insurance agency must be listed as a branch location under the licensed agency (also known as the parent location/office). Branch locations are maintained by the licensed agency, are held to the same standards as a licensed agency, and must have an agent-in-charge at all times. The parent location will be able to add and maintain branch locations in MyProfile once the agency license has been approved.
- Foreign Insurance Agencies click here for reciprocity information.
- Related Florida Statutes: 626.015(8), 626.112(7)(a) and (b), 626.172